Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day of Reckoning

There is a quote in one of my favorite books The Alchemist which says, “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream.” Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, it feels like the all the universe is conspiring against me. I told you of how I recently returned to TACS. I spent three hours there, photographing. On the walk back to my car, I spotted a flag rising and falling in the wind -- backlit, of older natural fiber design, and with a backdrop of an understated stone house. I patiently waited a good fifteen minutes for the wind to stretch out that flag just so. That evening when I tried to download my images from the day, the memory card was inaccessible. A message popped up that an error had been detected. The computer took it upon itself to initiate “a fix”. The sector errors were repaired, but in the process all of my pictures were wiped clean. I lost everything. My frustration almost unbearable, two thoughts came to mind. The first a comment from one of my best friends - Tom. Not long after I started my blog, he wrote that my writing was “different”. When I asked for clarification of his statement, he explained that in comparison to my previous daily 100 word submissions for our writing group those of my blog were “positive” and he liked that. I took that to heart and made it a continuing goal for my blog entries. The second thought -- a sentiment from another of my closest friends, Tim. Posed in the form of a question: in the face of something I have no control over, do you let it eat at you and consume your time and energy…or move on and accomplish something (whether it be starting over or starting something new)? I paused for a moment, “cleared the mechanism”, and made the conscious decision to pick a new task to focus on and be productive with for the remainder of the evening. In an effort to wax the positive, I will say that I am thankful the first memory card of that day (containing the Dillsburg Farmers’ Fair and a classic car show in Lemoyne) downloaded just fine, so I have those images to enjoy and share. Thank you both for your helpful words and support.

No comments: