Saturday, August 21, 2010

Red and Black Raindrops



The weather. Wind can blow dirt into the lens. From this point forward until the lens is cleaned, every negative or digital image taken is ruined. A photographer must care for his or her camera and make sure to keep everything clean and in working order. Raindrops can create a similar hazard. The possibility of a storm passing over a car show I planned to attend used to give me pause for thought, considering whether there was any point to still going. Then, one cloudy morning I was at a Carlisle show when rain started to fall. I made sure to keep my lens pointed down to protect it from moisture. Then, I noticed something. As with wind, rain does not always hinder possibilities for photographs, rather it can also create them. While everyone else ran for the buildings to get out of the rain, I raised my camera to my eye and took a good look; and I discovered photographs that would not have worked without the pattern of rain drops coating surfaces.

No comments: