Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Three


Reflections, including my own, are a always a concern when photographing certain subject matter, such as windows, cars, and planes. Typically, I do everything I can to become invisible. In addition, I am vigilant with regard to the presence of others: either waiting out the oblivious gawkers that step in my line of fire, or beating them to the punch by framing and snapping my shot before they approach. The latter is preferential, but the reality of car shows means it’s not always possible. I’ve waited 10 minutes (which feels like an eternity) for a shot, refusing to move because I believed the image was worth my time. I strive to keep the object’s surface clear of outside visual interference. That said, there are exceptions; and this is one of them. A dark finish, the location of “the three” in relation to the sun’s position, and my camera placement. The result: three silhouettes front and center each unique yet working together, adding a dimension to the image rather than detracting from it.

No comments: