Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunrise on Cadillac Mountain - Maine



5:44 AM, August 17, 2006. I stand atop Cadillac Mountain located in Acadia National Park, Maine. It is just past pitch black as the sky starts to lighten to a deep blue/purple. The air is frigid. All around me everyone else either stays in their vehicles with the motors running or sits atop boulders and folding chairs draped in layers of blankets and winter wear. What we have in common is we are all waiting for the sunrise. A rainbow of colors appear on the horizon, letting me know the event is fast approaching. Camera in hand, I am on the move. There is more to observe and appreciate than the first glimpse of the sun's ascent, and I did my best to embrace and photograph as much as I could. I never felt the cold -- too engrossed in the experience. I stood here two years ago for the very same reason and I can tell you both sunrises were unique. Among the sights I had the privilege to enjoy: silhouettes of the surrounding islands, deep rich colors in the day's infancy, a group of Moose swimming out to one of the islands, and the experience of a spectacular sunrise in all its stages that I would not trade for anything.

1 comment:

Muncle Mark said...

Wow! I didn't realize how gifted you were. Perhaps I could have you join my classroom sometime for a photo lesson. Just a thought.